We hope you will sign up for our farm’s Garlic Friends Email newsletter, which keeps you up to date with our markets, new recipes, photos of ‘doin’s’ on the farm, CSA memberships, and invitations to special events on the farm.
Markets: We first sell green garlic when it is ready to harvest late-April to early-May to our CSA members and also to local chefs. We then sell garlic scapes at farmers’ markets (variable timing – a 2-week season that may begin anytime between mid-May to mid-June – please sign up for our farm newsletter to be notified when they appear and when we are bringing them to markets – don’t miss their short appearance and availability!) and garlic bulbs, garlic braids, (August-September until sold out) and honey from our hives (when available) at the following farmers’ markets and retail locations in 2016:
- Ypsilanti Downtown Farmers’ Market, 16 S. Washington – Tuesday 3-7 pm (We attend this market through September)
- Dixboro Farmers’ Market on the Village Green – Friday 3-7 pm (We attend this market through October)
- Argus Farm Stop at 325 W. Liberty in Ann Arbor – open daily with free parking (Garlic products only)
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market – at both Ann Arbor stores in 2016: 1) at Green and Plymouth Rd in NE Ann Arbor, 2) South Main St. Open daily with free parking. Our locally-grown garlic will be on the farm stand composed of locally-grown food, typically at the entrance to the produce section when we have garlic available to sell (early August until we are sold out). Please ask for our garlic if you cannot find it!
Special Note: We gladly accept tokens for various food assistance programs at each farmers’ market that we attend. If you are uncertain or have any question about these multiple programs, please ask us. We are growing our food in healthy soil to help create a healthy YOU plus a healthy community.
We have been invited to be vendors at nearly every farmers market in SE Michigan. It is difficult to say ‘Thanks, but no thanks”, but (1) we are trying to truly sell ‘local’ and (2) we even dropped one market in 2014 for the difficult but simple reason that we need more time both on the farm and at home. The past five years we have easily sold everything we have grown at markets within 12 miles of our farm.
Chefs, caterers, and local food producers who wish to purchase larger quantities of our garlic scapes or garlic (or arrange for a private tasting at our farm before you purchase) should call Dick (734-649-1654). We can arrange to have your order ready for pick up at a local farmers market, we can deliver to your kitchen (if it is a reasonable drive), or you may pick it up at our farm. PS – We have even done “rush orders” in the past, but we do need to charge an extra delivery fee for that service.
- Agrarian Adventure‘s annual fund-raiser brunch
- Arbor Brewing Company (featured our garlic in September and October 2013 for their roasted garlic appetizer! They chose Inchelium Red, a variety of delicious garlic selected by Slow Food for their Ark of Taste.)
- Argus Farm Stop
- Ayse’s Turkish Café
- B Bars
- Bona Sera Café
- Brecon Grille in Saline, MI
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market (Green Rd in Ann Arbor location only)
- Dancy’s Fancy Butter
- Delicious Diversity (jams, jelly)
- Eat Ann Arbor
- El Harissa Market Café
- Element 112 (Sylvania, OH)
- Fairy Tale Baked Goods
- Farm to Ladle (soups)
- Grange Kitchen & Bar
- Granny’s Garlic Salt (Old Friends Farm)
- Honey Creek Community School
- Jolly Pumpkin
- Juicy Kitchen
- Magic Bean Café in Saginaw, MI
- Moonwinks Café
- Mother Loaf Breads
- Nightshade Farm Industries (salsas, garlic chili pastes)
- Old Pine Farm (used our dried garlic scapes in their meat rub seasonings)
- Oh Dear Bakery
- Pastry Garden
- Riki Tiki Pies
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards
- Tammy’s Tastings
- The Brinery (used our garlic in a 2014 limited-edition sauerkraut, which was so popular that they doubled production for 2015 and will be tripling production in 2016!)
- The Lark
- The Ravens Club
- Village Corner Wine and Specialty Foods
- Zingerman’s Deli
- Zingerman’s Roadhouse
- Did we forgot to add your establishment? Please send us an email! (It’s hard for us to keep our website updated during the growing season.)
We are currently in discussions with several area chefs, small food producers, so stay tuned for updates on those new opportunities for us as we sell our green garlic, garlic scapes, and ~40 varieties of organically-grown garlic within our local community, “nourishing the health of our local community”, which is our goal and really exciting for us!
- Our policy and practice is to save the best garlic harvested for our own seed stock to plant next year’s crop. Period. Simple. We don’t even eat any of ‘the best’ ourselves. We plant it all for you.
- Our Garlic CSA members will have a dedicated time to come purchase any of our garlic to plant in their own gardens once we have sorted and set aside our own seed stock.
- Next chance will be given to everyone who receives our Garlic Friends Email newsletter.
- Finally, anyone who buys our garlic at our market stands may also pick out the ‘biggest’ of what is available that day to plant, complete with our planting instructions to take home.
- Our recommendation is to purchase your planting garlic early during our marketing season, not waiting until the last week of September when most of our varieties and large heads of garlic have already sold out.
- Remember, we do not ship. We intentionally and easily sell all the garlic we grow to our local community, which is our goal, as we help to rebuild and diversify the economic health of our community along with nourishing the health of soil along with the health of our community members with our great garlic.