We are done selling garlic for 2013, i.e. we are 100% sold out and no longer attending any local farmers’ markets. We hope you will sign up for our farm’s Garlic Friends Email newsletter to be notified when the 2014 Garlic CSA sign-up info is available and when our marketing season will start up again in 2014.
Markets: We first sell green garlic when it is ready to harvest late-April to early-May to our CSA members and also to local chefs. We then sell garlic scapes at farmers’ markets (variable timing – a 2-week season that may begin anytime between mid-May to mid-June – please sign up for our farm newsletter to be notified when they appear and when we are bringing them to markets – don’t miss their short appearance and availability!) and garlic bulbs, garlic braids, (August-September until sold out) and honey from our hives (when available) at the following farmers’ markets in 2013:
- Ypsilanti Downtown Farmers’ Market, behind Key Bank – Tuesday 2-6 pm
- Ann Arbor Wednesday Evening Farmers’ Market at Kerrytown – 4-8 pm
- Ann Arbor Westside Farmers’ Market at Zingerman’s Roadhouse – Thursday 3-7 pm
- Dixboro Farmers’ Market on the Village Green – Friday 3:30-7:30 pm
- Lunasa (an on-line source for local foods/products) – our products will be selective and the dates for pick-ups at the Washtenaw Food Hub are variable, please check the Lunasa website for up-to-date information.
Special Note: We gladly accept all tokens for food assistance programs. If you are uncertain or have any question about these multiple programs, please ask us. We are growing our food in healthy soil to help create a healthy YOU plus a healthy community.
I think we have been invited to be vendors at nearly every farmers market in SE Michigan. It is difficult to say ‘Thanks, but no thanks”, but we are trying to truly sell ‘local’. The past four years we have easily sold everything we have grown at markets within 12 miles of our farm. We have added Lunasa to our markets in 2013, but no other farmers’ markets.
Chefs, caterers, and local food producers who wish to purchase larger quantities of our garlic scapes or garlic (or arrange for a private tasting at our farm before you purchase) should call Dick (734-649-1654). We can arrange to have your order ready for pick up at a local farmers market, we can deliver to your kitchen (if it is a reasonable drive), or you may pick it up at our farm.
- Delicious Diversity (jams, jellies)
- Farm to Ladle (soups made with local organic ingredients),
- Grange Kitchen & Bar,
- Granny’s Garlic Salt (Old Friends Farm),
- Jolly Pumpkin,
- Magic Bean Café in Saginaw, MI
- Moonwinks Café,
- Nightshade Army Industries (salsas, garlic chili pastes),
- Old Pine Farm (used our dried garlic scapes in their meat rub seasonings)
- The Ravens Club,
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards,
- Village Corner Wine and Specialty Foods,
- Zingerman’s Deli, and
- Zingerman’s Roadhouse.
- Did we forgot to add your establishment? Please send us an email!
2013 Restaurants, Caterers, and Food Producers (many thanks for loving our garlic!):
- Arbor Brewing Company (featured our garlic in September and October for their roasted garlic appetizer! They chose Enchilium Red, a variety of garlic selected by Slow Food for their Ark of Taste.)
- Ayse’s Turkish Café
- B Bars
- Bona Sera Café
- Corridor Sausage (We sold so many garlic scapes at our farmers’ markets this year that we did not have enough to supply Corridor Sausage with the 20# they wanted in order to develop a new sausage recipe using garlic scapes. Next year, Will, you’ll be at the head of the line!)
- Grange Kitchen & Bar
- Jolly Pumpkin
- Juicy Kitchen
- Moonwinks Café
- Nightshade Army Industries (salsas, garlic chili pastes)
- Oh Dear Bakery
- Rebecca Wauldron (Chef for Busch’s Grocery)
- Riki Tiki Pies
- The Brinery (using our garlic in a 2013 limited-edition sauerkraut – stay tuned for availability details – we are really excited about this!)
- The Ravens Club
- Tammy’s Tastings
- Village Corner Wine and Specialty Foods
- Zingerman’s Deli
- Zingerman’s Roadhouse
- Did we forgot to add your establishment? Please send us an email! (It’s hard for us to keep our website updated during the growing season.)
Stay tuned for more news on those new opportunities for us as we sell our green garlic, garlic scapes, and 40+ varieties of organically-grown garlic within our local community, which is our goal and really exciting for us!
- Our policy and practice is to save the best garlic harvested for our own seed stock to plant next year’s crop. Period. Simple. We don’t even eat any of ‘the best’ ourselves. We plant it all for you.
- Next in line will be are our Garlic CSA members. They have first chance to purchase any of our garlic to plant in their own gardens once we have sorted and set aside our own seed stock.
- Next chance will be given to everyone who receives our Garlic Friends Email newsletter.
- Finally, anyone who buys our garlic at our market stands may also pick out the ‘biggest’ of what is available that day to plant, complete with our planting instructions to take home.
- Our recommendation is to purchase your seed garlic early in the season, not waiting until the last week of September when most of our varieties and large heads of garlic have already sold out.
- Remember, we do not ship. We intentionally and easily sell all the garlic we grow to our local community, which is our goal, as we help to rebuild and diversify the economic health of our community along with nourishing the physical health of our community members with our great garlic.