We hope you will sign up for our farm’s Garlic Friends Email newsletter, which keeps you up to date with our markets, new recipes, photos of ‘doin’s’ on the farm, CSA memberships, and invitations to special events on the farm.
Markets: We first sell green garlic when it is ready to harvest late-April to early-May to our CSA members and also to local chefs. We then sell garlic scapes at farmers’ markets (variable timing – a 2-week season that may begin anytime between mid-May to mid-June – please sign up for our farm newsletter to be notified when they appear and when we are bringing them to markets – don’t miss their short appearance and availability!) and garlic bulbs, garlic braids, (August-October until sold out) and honey from our hives (when available) at the following farmers’ markets and retail locations:
- Dixboro Farmers’ Market on the Village Green – Friday 3-7 pm (We attend this weekly market when we have products to sell through October plus their Holiday Market on the Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving – sign-up for our email newsletter for details)
- Argus Farm Stop at 325 W. Liberty in Ann Arbor – open daily with free parking (Garlic products, our book Get Going with Great Garlic, and our bees’ wax lip balms only)
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market – at both Ann Arbor stores in 2016: 1) at Green and Plymouth Rd in NE Ann Arbor, 2) South Main St. Open daily with free parking. Our locally-grown garlic will be on the farm stand composed of locally-grown food, typically at the entrance to the produce section when we have garlic available to sell (early August until we are sold out). Please ask for our garlic if you cannot find it!
Special Note: We gladly accept tokens for various food assistance programs farmers’ market. If you are uncertain or have any question about these multiple programs, please ask the market manager. We are growing our food in healthy soil to help create a healthy YOU plus a healthy community.
We have been invited to be vendors at nearly every farmers market in SE Michigan. It is difficult to say ‘Thanks, but no thanks”, but (1) our farm’s goal is to truly sell ‘local’, and (2) we even dropped a farmers’ market in 2014 and another in 2016 for the difficult but simple reason that we need more time both on the farm and at home. The past five years we have easily sold everything we have grown at farmers’ markets, retail stores, and to small food vendors within SE Michigan, most being within 12 miles of our farm.
We are your “deep local” certified organic farmers,
focused on nourishing the health of our soil and our local community.
Chefs, caterers, and local food producers who wish to purchase larger quantities of our green garlic, garlic scapes or garlic (or arrange for a private tasting at our farm before you purchase) should call Dick (734-649-1654, cell). We can arrange to have your order ready for pick up at a local farmers’ market, we can deliver to your kitchen (if it is a reasonable drive), or you may pick it up at our farm.
We do ask that our farm name, logo, and garlic variety be included on the label or menu board, as we love cross-marketing our win-win-win community collaborations, i.e., our #localfoodcommunity!
PS – We have even done “rush orders” in the past, but, understandably, we do need to charge an extra delivery fee for that service. 🙂
Our green garlic, garlic scapes, garlic, and/or our honey has been purchased by the following food establishments. Many thanks for loving our garlic!
- Agrarian Adventure‘s annual fund-raiser brunch
- Arbor Brewing Company (featured our garlic in September and October 2013 for their roasted garlic appetizer! They chose Inchelium Red, a variety of delicious garlic selected by Slow Food for their Ark of Taste.)
- Argus Farm Stop
- Ayse’s Turkish Café
- B Bars
- Bona Sera Café
- Brecon Grille in Saline, MI
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market (both Ann Arbor locations in 2016)
- Dancy’s Fancy Butter
- Delicious Diversity (jams, jelly)
- Eat Ann Arbor
- El Harissa Market Café
- Element 112 (Sylvania, OH)
- Fairy Tale Baked Goods
- Farm to Ladle (soups)
- Grange Kitchen & Bar
- Granny’s Garlic Salt (Old Friends Farm)
- Honey Creek Community School
- Jolly Pumpkin
- Juicy Kitchen
- Magic Bean Café in Saginaw, MI
- Mindo Chocolate (A limited edition garlic-chocolate bar – YES! Check Mindo’s website for availability and ordering on-line.)
- Moonwinks Café – Fall 2016, our honey is available for sale here.
- Mother Loaf Breads
- Nightshade Farm Industries (salsas, garlic chili pastes, hot sauces)
- Old Pine Farm (used our dried garlic scapes in their meat rub seasonings)
- Oh Dear Bakery
- Pastry Garden
- Riki Tiki Pies
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards
- Spencer Ann Arbor
- Spicegrrrl (both honey and garlic bulbs for holiday gift baskets)
- Tammy’s Tastings
- The Brinery (first used our garlic in a 2014 limited-edition sauerkraut, which was so wildly popular that they doubled production for 2015, and tripled production in 2016. It is currently available around town and by ordering from The Brinery’s website. Don’t wait, as this seasonal product always sells out!)
- The Lark
- The Ravens Club
- Village Corner Wine and Specialty Foods
- Why Not Pie?
- Ypsi Ale House (Chef Mary used our blue pickled Laba Garlic for their Chinese New Year menu)
- Zingerman’s Deli
- Zingerman’s Roadhouse
- Did we forgot to add your establishment? Please send us an email! (It’s hard for us to keep our website updated during the growing season.)
We love having discussions with area chefs and small food producers, so stay tuned for updates on new opportunities for us as we sell our green garlic, garlic scapes, and ~40 varieties of organically-grown garlic within our local community, “nourishing the health of our local community”, which is our goal and really exciting for us!
- Our policy and practice is to save the best garlic harvested for our own seed stock to plant next year’s crop. Period. Simple. We don’t even eat any of ‘the best’ ourselves. We plant it all for you.
- Our Garlic CSA members will have a dedicated time to come purchase any of our garlic to plant in their own gardens once we have sorted and set aside our own seed stock.
- Next chance will be given to everyone who receives our Garlic Friends Email newsletter.
- Finally, anyone who buys our garlic at our market stands may also pick out the ‘biggest’ of what is available that day to plant, complete with our planting instructions to take home.
- Our recommendation is to purchase your planting garlic early during our marketing season, not waiting until the last week of September when most of our varieties and large heads of garlic have already sold out.
- Remember, we do not ship. We intentionally and easily sell all the garlic we grow to our local community, which is our goal, as we help to rebuild and diversify the economic health of our community along with nourishing the health of soil along with the health of our community members with our great garlic.