A savory way to use rhubarb and garlic scapes together. We have also used minced green garlic (pictured here) instead of the garlic scapes. Either work just great, is delicious, and is available to use fresh with rhubarb (green garlic first, then the scapes come a few weeks later)!
- 1-1/2 cup rhubarb, wash and dice small
- 1/4 cup garlic scapes, finely chopped (remove the flower bud to save for pickling or soup stock)
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped (optional but SO good!)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped (I use frozen peppers from last fall)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch (less than 1/8 teaspoon) of ground cayenne pepper
- lime juice – just a splash
- Blanch the rhubarb in boiling water for 10 seconds and then immediately plunge into ice cold water. Drain and pat dry. Place into serving bowl.
- Combine other chopped ingredients and add to the rhubarb.
- Combine other ingredients into a small jar, shake or whisk to blend, then stir into serving bowl, stir to mix all together.
Serve with chicken, fish, chips, or just use a spoon! Yum, yum!!