This is a very simple and versatile salad dressing. I often use our own chive-blossom vinegar for a very mild taste, however, changing vinegars will give you a different dressing each time you make it. In addition, try changing garlic varieties, from the mild China Stripe to the ‘inferno’ Shandong! Even the type of mustard used will give you endless varieties with this basic dressing. I love using the Roasted Red Pepper Mustard made by Sansonetti Gourmet Foods and purchased at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market.
• 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (fresh is best – it does make a difference!)
• 1 small clove garlic, peeled, minced finely or smashed in a morter and pestle
• 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon zest (optional)
• 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
• 1 tsp. of your favorite mustard or 1/4 tsp.dry mustard
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl or put them in a jar and shake to blend.
Use immediately or store, covered and chilled, up to 1 week (olive oil will solidify in the refrigerator but will liquify quite quickly at room temperature again).
This recipe is easily increased in quantity by doubling all ingredients. Vary it by adding a small amount of plain unflavored yogurt for a creamy dressing, or a tiny bit of blue cheese, or add some finely chopped fresh herbs.
Dick and Diana Dyer
The Dyer Family Organic Farm/Dickʼs ʻPretty Good!ʼ Garlic
Your Local Garlic Growers (40 varieties in 2012!) in Ann Arbor, MI
“Shaping our future from the ground up”